Our board-certified radiologist and diagnostic tools are here to give you piece of mind. Mammography uses X-rays to image the breast. It is recommended as the first line of screening. It has been studied for decades and has shown a 30% reduction in mortality. Mammography uses compression and involves radiation to penetrate through breast tissue. The entire screening takes about 15 minutes to complete.
During the Mammogram
- Your breast rests on a plastic plate. This plate can be adjusted to suit your height.
- A second plate presses down on the breast. This spreads out breast tissue so small abnormalities can be seen.
- Four x-rays are taken: one from the top and one from the side of each breast.
Preparing for Your Visit
- Wear two piece clothing to your appointment.
- Do not wear deodorant, lotions or talcum powder on the day of your exam.
- Know where your prior images were performed so that we can obtain a copy.
To schedule your mammography, please call 405.702.4930.